Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin, which is naturally present in some food products such as oranges and lemons and is also available as a dietary supplement. It is also called L-ascorbic acid and cannot be synthesized naturally by the body, making it necessary to consume it in the diet. It has many benefits and aids in the normal functioning of the body, its most essential function is the biosynthesis of collagen fibers.
Vitamin C benefits
- Prevents cold and cough:
Helps to avoid colds and cough Vitamin C works to strengthen our body’s immunity, which helps in fighting viruses. Vitamin C also works to help the body absorb iron.
- Reduces high blood pressure: People with high blood pressure are at increased risk of heart diseases. Consumption of vitamin C helps in lowering the blood pressure of the body and thus reduces the chances of heart disease.
- Treats Vasodilation: Effective treatment of vasodilation is possible with vitamin C. Vitamin C dilates the blood vessels in the proper amount, due to which it is possible to effectively treat the disease of atherosclerosis. Due to atherosclerosis, the patient has to face the problem of congestive heart failure, high cholesterol, angina pectoris and high blood pressure. Vitamin C normalizes the dilation of blood vessels and protects a healthy heart.
- Lead poisoning treatment: Lead poisoning is a serious health problem that occurs mostly in children. This health-related problem has been seen more especially in children in urban areas. Due to lead poisoning, abnormal development, behavioral problems, learning disability, decrease in IQ have been found in children. An increase in blood pressure due to lead poisoning has been observed in adults. Vitamin C supplements reduce lead levels in the blood.
- Cataract treatment (eye disorder): Cataracts are the most common eye problems. The problem of cataract in the eyes occurs when the level of vitamin C in the lens of the eye falls below normal. Increasing the intake of vitamin C increases the blood supply to the upper regions of the body.
- Treats cancer: Researchers have found that people who eat fresh vegetables and fruits have a lower risk of various types of cancer. He found in his research that there is such a link related to fresh vegetables and fruits, due to which eating them reduces the risk of cancer to a great extent. Research has also found that people who consume fresh vegetables and fruits are less likely to develop cancers related to the lungs, mouth, vocal chords, throat, colon, rectum, stomach, and esophagus.
- Reduces the risk of stroke: Vitamin C is effective in reducing the risk of stroke. Stroke is a type of heart disease. Vitamin C is mainly found in abundance in vegetables and fruits. Vitamin C is also helpful in maintaining the proper level of blood pressure in the body. Along with this, vitamin C also protects the body from free radicals present in the body. This may also be one of the reasons why vitamin C is able to protect the heart from stroke.
- Improve brain: Vitamin C plays an important role in the production of neurotransmitters such as norepinephrine. These neurotransmitters affect a person’s mood, and they are important for the smooth functioning of the brain.
- Boosts Immunity: Immunity is another important function of this vitamin. Vitamin C is also known to contribute to the body’s immune system and the production of white blood vessels.
- Quick wound healing: Vitamin C also helps repair wounds. It promotes the growth of connective tissues, due to which wounds heal faster.
- Controls asthma: Ascorbic acid also helps in reducing the symptoms of asthma. It protects the human body from the harmful effects of air pollution, due to which vitamin C is able to protect against diseases like asthma.
- Diabetes treatment: Various studies have shown that low intake of vitamin C is one of the main causes of diabetes. Vitamin C supplements are effective in treating diabetes. Because they help in the processing of insulin and glucose.
- Prevents heart diseases: The required amount of vitamin C repairs the damage of blood vessels of the body. Most of the damage to blood vessels is caused by free radicals present in the body. Since vitamin C neutralizes free radicals present in the body, it acts as a preventive agent of heart disease. It also cures many other heart-related problems.
- Get rid of scurvy disease: Scurvy disease is caused due to deficiency of vitamin C. Deficiency of this vitamin weakens connective tissue, bones and blood vessels. Vitamin C is useful in the production of collagen. Due to the lack of collagen in the body, connective tissue, bones and blood vessels become weak.
Vitamin C rich food products
- Berries such as strawberries, gooseberries, blueberries, raspberries and cranberries
- Citrus fruits like oranges, lemons, grapes, seasonal
- Watermelon and Watermelon
- Vegetables like broccoli, red pepper, green pepper, and cauliflower.
- In green vegetables like spinach, cabbage and turnips
- Sweet sugar in perfume.
Vitamin C is also found in some packaged foods such as cereals and lentils.
It is also available in capsule, tablet, and synthetic supplement form, available for special dosages and treatments.
Foods rich in vitamin C should be consumed raw, cooking, heating, or microwaving can reduce their nutritional content and the amount of vitamin C in them.
Similarly, it is also not recommended to store them for a long time or keep them exposed to daylight. When buying stored juices and packaged fruits, solid cartons should be preferred as they will protect the nutritional content of the food from excessive light. These fruits and vegetables are best eaten fresh and raw after washing them.
Vitamin C needs per day.
Vitamin C is available in the form of fresh fruits and vegetables and also in the form of supplements, tablets, and mouthwash, consumption of which is able to protect you from any side effects or toxicity
The Recommended Daily Amount (RDA) for vitamin C for all age groups is outlined below. This can vary depending on individual height, weight, and other factors, and a physician’s consultation is essential before making any dietary changes.
|age||For men||For ladies|
|up to 6 months||40 mg||40 mg|
|7 months to 1 year||50 mg||50 mg|
|1 year to 3 years||15 mg||15 mg|
|4 years to 8 years||25 mg||25 mg|
|9 years to 13 years||45 mg||45 mg|
|14 years to 18 years||75 mg||65 mg|
|19 years and over (adult dosage)||90 mg||75 mg|
- Harm and side effects of Vitamin C
- The following side-effects are likely to occur if you consume more than the prescribed quantity or for a very long time,
- Abdominal cramps (abdominal pain)
- Getting nausea
- Long-term excessive use can also lead to erosion of dental enamel, which is considered to be sensitivity or pain in the tooth.
- Allergic reactions may also occur in some individuals.
- Decreased levels of vitamin B12.
People have started consuming too much vitamin C to keep themselves safe from Kovid-19 or other viral, bacterial diseases, pay attention to these things too. We know that there are many benefits of consuming vitamin C, but consuming too much of it can also cause some disadvantages. First of all, it is also important to know what are the disadvantages of consuming too much vitamin C.
In the Corona era, nowadays many experts recommend consuming foods containing the most vitamin C. Vitamin C boosts immunity as well as provides nourishment to the body. By taking vitamin C supplements daily in the body, you can avoid many types of infections. It is important to consume vitamin C-rich foods even when the weather changes.
But there are some people who start consuming too much vitamin C to keep themselves safe from Kovid-19 or other viral, bacterial diseases. Of course, there are many benefits of consuming vitamin C, but consuming too much of it can also harm you. Know, what are the disadvantages of consuming too much vitamin C
How much vitamin C should be included in the diet per day
If you consume about 500 mg of vitamin C per day, then it strengthens the body’s immunity. And you help your body in fighting many types of infections.
Yes, avoid consuming more than 1,000 mg of vitamin C daily, or else it may cause harm instead of benefit. Vitamin C is very high in antioxidant content. Antioxidants work to throw out the toxic and harmful waste accumulated in the body. With this, the body’s immune system works better, thereby protecting the body from infections and diseases.
You are advised to exercise caution while consuming vitamin C if you have hyperoxaluria (excessive excretion of oxalate through urine), as it increases the risk of developing kidney stones. If you suffer from hereditary hemochromatosis (excess iron), tissue damage is likely to occur after prolonged and excessive intake of vitamin C. In all cases, you are advised not to take any dietary supplements without your doctor’s prescription and consultation.
Why is Vitamin C important in pregnancy and symptoms of deficiency?
Vitamin-C intake is considered essential during pregnancy. According to research published on the website of NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology Information), maintaining the right amount of vitamin C in the body is necessary for normal pregnancy and fetal development. At the same time, vitamin C deficiency during this time can cause various complications, which are explained in further detail.
How does Vitamin C work?
In the case of COVID-19, damage to the lungs is mostly caused by excess free radicals and oxidative stress, caused by improper functioning of the immune system. This is the way to eliminate the virus. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that neutralizes these free radicals that can damage the lungs. When the balance between oxidants and antioxidants is not reached, then there is a greater chance of damage.
Can increase oxidant status. Many hospitals in New York, China, and Shanghai have started using Intravenous Vitamin C to use critical patients of Corona.
When and how much vitamin C should be taken during pregnancy? A scientific study mentions taking vitamin-C supplements in all three trimesters of pregnancy. On this basis, we can say that the intake of vitamin C is necessary during the whole pregnancy. At the same time, talking about its quantity, a pregnant may require 85 mg of vitamin C per day. However, its quantity may change according to the health of pregnant women. Therefore, you must also take medical advice on this subject. signs of vitamin c deficiency in pregnancy There are some common symptoms that may appear when there is a deficiency of vitamin C during pregnancy. Vitamin-C deficiency in pregnant can be recognized through these symptoms.
Know about those symptoms below:
- Anemia problem
- Bleeding gums
- Decreased ability to fight infection
- Delay in wound healing
- Dry hair and split ends
- Swelling of gums nose
- Gaining weight
- Dryness of the skin and crusting of the skin
- Joint swelling and pain
Weakening of tooth enamel